So I'm looking to work abroad, preferably in Southeast Asia, Japan, Korea, and I have no idea where to start.
Some key points about me:
- I don't know any other languages aside from english, but I'd like to learn.
- I just graduated and I'd like to pay off some student loans
- I'd like to be able to both work AND travel
- I'd like to go for 4 months to a year
- I want to be completely immersed in the culture, I want to know the language when I get out, I don't want to stay in a big city where I can get away with speaking english. I want to eat great food, learn, adjust, get out of my comfort zone...
- JET program... worth the year long wait to know if you're in?
- Are there known programs that are big ole scams that I should stay away from?
- Are there programs where I'll be able to work, pay off loans and still travel?
- Which programs do you recommend?
- Are there volunteer programs that are worth the money?
- Wwoof programs in Thailand?
-Teaching english... I like children, but I'm also terrified of teaching.... any tips?
Programs I've looked into:
Bunac- Singapore work program or Volunteer Cambodia
i-to-i - expensive and less helping, more helping yourself, but still look cool
I subscribe to goabroad.com
Really, I want to be able to, as I said, eat good food, learn a language, get out of america, have an impact and be impacted by the culture I'm in....
This is abbreviated and yet rambly, sorry, any advice would be appreciated.